Sunday, June 29, 2008

Soundtrack: Jackie Brown
Supervisor(s): Quentin Tarantino & Lawrence Bender
Year: 1997
Genre(s): soul, funk



DOWNLOAD -- Jackie Brown

After my post last week for Foxy Brown I figured we'd keep it funky with another Foxy post from another Ms. Brown. Quentin Tarantino, who has never shy'd away from 1970's soundtracks, digs deep into some classic and not-so-classic hits from the R&B radio hits of the 70's. He is quoted as saying: "More or less the way my method works is you have got to find the opening credit sequence first. That starts it off from me. I find the personality of the piece through the music that is going to be in it . . . It is the rhythm of the film. Once I know I want to do something, then it is a simple matter of me diving into my record collection and finding the songs that give me the rhythm of my movie.

Well all of this couldn't be more true than of Jackie Brown, where Roy Ayers, Elvin Bishop, the Delfonics and even the Guess Who are featured tearing it up in the background of scenes from this bloody, sexy, late-90's crime film. Bits of dialogue make this soundtrack and even more engaging and entertaining playlist.